The Library of Congress announced on March 18 that Chronicling America has been updated with over 880,000 new pages of historic newspaper content – bringing total number of pages to 6 million+.
This update includes four batches with 28,000 + pages of new Vermont content — including the Spirit of the Age, the St. Johnsbury Caledonian, and the Bennington Banner families of titles — completing the titles for our Phase 1 (2010-2012) grant
In addition to newspaper content, NDNP state partners have contributed 117 title essays, including eight by VTDNP project historian, Prudence Doherty.
An alphabetical listing of Vermont titles and available newspaper essays can be viewed here: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/Vermont
Thanks to Prudence, there is also an interactive map that provides access by geographical region to Vermont newspaper titles on Chronicling America. A version of the map will soon be added to the VTDNP web site, but for now, you can read more about it and interact with it, on the blog: https://vtdnp.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/vtdnp-interactive-map/
Updates & Enhancements to Chronicling America from the Library of Congress
Deborah Thomas, NDNP Coordinator at the Library of Congress posted the following information about the March 18 updates and enhancements to Chronicling America.
March 18, 2013 — Chronicling America has been successfully upgraded in server, software, and content.
Here are some details on the update:
– more than 800,000 new pages (6 million+), including new contributions from Indiana and North Dakota,
– new content in French and Spanish from Arizona, Louisiana and New Mexico ,
– more than 130 new titles represented, and
– 117 new essays that NDNP state participants have provided.
Additionally, we hope you will notice additional performance improvements in searching and image loading (note: these will be not so obvious at first as we “prime the pump” (i.e. allow the image cache to build up) in the first few days after going public, but it should be apparent shortly.)
We’ve added a few new features and some bug fixes in this release too:
– added iOS support for panning and zooming on iPhones and iPads
– added thumbnail navigator on every page image (this is a feature of the newest version of OpenSeadragon)
– added a Citation feature at the bottom of every newspaper page image (look below the image)
– on the All Digitized Newspapers tab,
– display all states represented in the geographic name fields in digitized titles (i.e. 752 values)
– alphabetize titles within states
– a bug associated with Ethnicity and Language filters (dependent on MARC record values) has been fixed
Be sure to check out Chronicling America, including our Vermont titles …. and the new interactive map that provides a geographical view of Vermont newspapers that have been digitized.
– Birdie MacLennan